Henry David Thoreau once wrote the words, "In wildness is the preservation of the world." Though Thoreau lived in his cabin on the shores of Walden Pond many years ago, those words hold a deep truth. Wildness can mean so many different things to so many different people, but whatever it means to myriad humans across the globe, we have found embracing wildness to provide healing, inspiration, introspection and reason to explore. We have found wildness to be a foundation from which to do our work in the world, and we have found wildness to drive our choices as we tap into the potential of life on this beautiful earth. We have found wildness reason to cultivate community and exist in the world in a way that aligns with beauty and truth.
Here are 10 more reasons to embrace wildness, in all its forms, in the months to come. Because you just never know how making some little changes to your way of being might contribute to the healing of the planet.
1. Embracing wildness helps us process our fears. Leaning into unknowns and feeling the wind on our faces in a different way allows us to build confidence and experience life without our usual safety net, whatever it tends to be. Wildness can teach us that there is freedom in the unknown.
2. Embracing wildness can invite us to remember our roots. It reminds us that we are part of the cycles of nature and that we have a place in this great turning. It reminds us that there is always a chance for renewal.
3. Embracing wildness teaches patience. As Lao Tzu said, "Nature doesn't hurry, yet everything is accomplished."
4. Embracing wildness builds resiliency. Living close to the earth helps us build the capacity to face adversity and challenge with a strength that is made of the same stuff as stars.
5. Embracing wildness fosters respect for all living things. It helps us to develop a love for everything that holds energy on the planet and live out that love by walking gently on the earth and encouraging others to do the same.
6. Embracing wildness encourages adventure! Going out into the wild, however the wild looks for us, gets us to explore and dance and revel in the abundance that is possible when we take the time to let it in.
7. Embracing wildness leads to peace. When we can truly see the beauty in all of life on the planet and know the interconnectedness of all things, we can hold peace as our cornerstone. When know peace in ourselves, then can we know peace in the world.
8. Embracing wildness leads to gratitude. We can know that we are but a tiny part of the goodness of the earth, and we can give thanks for all the gifts that come with a human life.
9. Embracing wildness keeps us healthy and well. Moving our bodies in the fresh air, grounded to the energy of the earth allows us to live our best lives.
10. Embracing wildness allows us to be real. We can be our authentic selves, fully alive and breathing and moving over this gorgeous earth that we all call home.
We invite you to check out all of the course offerings in WAWU and embrace your own version of wildness. We're happy you are here.